Monday 26 May 2014

Kelly's Postal Directories.

I am slowly (very slowly) compiling information from Kelly's postal directories (a Victorian version of the phone book) into a database and spreadsheets for the various streets I am interested in from the year 1840 to 1950. I have chosen the year 1840 as I thought this would be a good year to start considering the area was still untouched by the railways at this time and also it may catch the market in its infancy so to speak, and 1950 allows for the second world war. I am hoping this will show the changes that occurred in the area due to the arrival of the railways and other historical events during the 110 years.
The information also may be useful to people who are researching their family history as at least one person has contacted me in regard to a distant relative of theirs, a shopkeeper, that signed the 1856 Costermonger's petition.

No comments:

Post a Comment